PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 500 S/O's!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2007, 10:07
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Career planning

From some of the responses that I have read on this thread, it appears that some guys are taking a short term view to their career planning. To some the idea of spending a few years as a Second Officer in Qantas is unattractive when there are First Officer jobs available at DJ or JQ - even if they have to pay for their endorsement. This smacks of the "must have it all now" attitude attributed to Gen "Y". Sure getting a job with LCC's may reward you with a much shorter time to command but where do you go after that. Are the relatively large numbers of DJ captains leaving for the sandpit going purely because of the salary and T & C's or is there an element of "I've been a captain on the B737 for years and I'm sick of the "ground-hog day" domestic flying routine - I want to move on and fly a bigger (& technically more modern) aircraft like the B777".

By joining Qantas, there are many options for you to tailor your career to suit your own aims. After your stint as a S/O, taking a F/O position in Short Haul can be very rewarding with a large number of sectors with flying skills becoming honed. A number of guys are then happy to stay in short haul for the rest of their careers but the large majority end up tiring of the short slips, reduced social life whilst away and repetitive nature of SH flying so they elect to return to LH on larger aircraft. Similar choices are made when they elect for command training.

Generally, the pilots who start their airline career with LCC's have to move airlines (often overseas) to have variety throughout their career, whilst those who join Qantas will have many choices while remaining with the same employer and staying in OZ. Long term superannuation benefits are also a plus.

When the B787 is established in mainline, it will be the aircraft of choice for many as the flying will consist of a mixture of domestic, Tasman, Asian regional, long range and ultra long range flying with pilots bidding (something that some LCC's don't have) for the mix of flying that suits them. As it will be the aircraft type used to develop new international routes, the crews will have the opportunity to experience these new destinations with sufficient slip time. Most new routes start with only three flights per week so the slips will be really good.

For a lot of guys the ability to take family members away with them on trips is a perk that helps to keep some balance in their home life. It helps spouses to put up with extended periods without their partner, but is not a practical option in the SH/LCC type of flying. Qantas and AIPA introduced a number of years ago on the B744 a concept called "extended layover patterns". Basically, this involves flying the first half of a London pattern then taking a weeks leave (total of 10 days off) and then completing the rest of the pattern - very popular with spouses who can get the opportunity. Obviously, family demographics limit some participation but for those who can do it the opportunity is "priceless".

As those who know me can testify, I'm not a company man but I thought that it was worth putting some of my thoughts on this thread to provide balance for those who have to make a career decision in the near future.

All the best to those who are about to embark on an airline career. GB