PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling Approach tricks in the simulator.
Old 25th Jun 2007, 15:40
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will now put my TRE hat on and get prepared to be shot down by all and sundry.

It is not possible to fail a candidate on an "IRT" for screwing up a visual manoeuvre.

The circling approach is no longer a Mandatory Item on the JAA ATPL/Type Rating Skill Test and Proficiency Check Form.

However, as someone else has already pointed out, I would expect a trained crew to be able to make such a manoeuvre. If they could not then it could become an OPC issue.

Now I am a very practical aviator and I get a bit worried about some of our profession who cannot fly such manoeuvres without the use of an FMC. I have no objection to using everything available but I do get nervous when I fly with some youngsters who are pushing buttons when looking out of the window would be a far better idea and also give an instant solution!

So let us get down to basics. The opening gambit on this thread was looking for tips on how to conduct this exercise successfully in a simulator. Here are my little tips.

Before you start, make sure that you give a good brief and do not allow yourself to be rushed into the exercise. In particular, it is essential that you brief the go-around procedures depending on at what point visual contact is lost. For example, if contact is lost downwind then a go-around is initiated and a turn towards the runway is made in order to intercept the missed approach procedure for the instrument let down that got you there in the first place.

The most awkward can be losing sight of the runway on finals which will involve a circling go-around through up to 180°.

If the automatics are available (and approved) then use them. They will fly the aircraft more accurately than you and will allow you more time to manage the situation.

If your aircraft is not fitted with autothrottle then it is vital that you fly the entire procedure at the same airspeed until you are visual on finals for the landing runway. This is not rocket science. If you fly your 45° for 45 seconds turn at 210 knots and then turn on to finals at 150 knots, it simply will not work out!

Make due allowance for drift when downwind. (I notice that one contributer stated that it is necessary to be able to see the runway threshold at all times. In fact, when you are downwind, you are only required to have the "runway environment" in sight. For example, if you were downwind on 27 at Liverpool at night, you may well not be able to see the runway lights but the ramp lights should be easily visible).

In some simulators the visual system is not good enough for you to be able to see the threshold when abeam. In which case, it is encumbent upon the examiner to give you an accurate abeam point. From that point (and assuming that you are still flying at a good steady IAS) time for the circling minima HEIGHT (not altitude) x 3. (EG: 700 ft agl x 3 = 21 seconds) making due allowance for wind. Do not go for more than 30 seconds.

Then commence a level turn on to finals. This is where it usually goes wrong!
If you are using the automatics in basic modes, then get your heading bug round on to the runway heading ASAP. If you try to do it in progressive demands then every time the aircraft gets close to the heading bug the bank will tend to reduce and you will tend to overshoot the centreline.

Now then, you are absolutely not allowed to leave circling minima until the approach lights or the runway itself are in sight. Therefore, it could be that you have to react very quickly.

Most cock-ups occur at this stage. The candidate is so pleased to see a runway that he/she spends a lot of valuable seconds admiring their wonderful achievement. All the while, they are getting higher and higher!

On my current aircraft, 6 things have to be accomplished very quickly:
1. Disconnect the AP.
2. Reduce power (a large reduction).
3. Start descending - even if you see 4 Reds - start descending at 200 fpm or so - you can soon regain the 3° slope later. (If you don't start descending then you will probably pop back up into cloud when you drop land flap and that will mean a go-around).
4. Extend landing flaps.
5. Airbrakes if needed.
6. FDs off.

The circling approach is quite a demanding exercise and it is not often that modern pilots have to fly them. When I was a youngster, NDB letdowns were de rigueur and we flew circling approaches a plenty.

Nowadays they are very unusual and therefore require a great deal of respect. There have been some terrible accidents in recent years (such as Guam) that they should be treated with a huge amount of care and practiced at every possible opportunity.

Last edited by JW411; 25th Jun 2007 at 15:51.