PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 15:54
modtinbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was mowing the lawn one Sunday morning at my house in Llantwit Major situated about a mile from the RAF St Athan runway threshold, and about 6 miles from Cardiff International Airport at Rhoose.

Oh, I thought, that sounds BIG and CLOSE, looked up, and sure enough, a 747, legs down and seconds from contact on Saints strip. Knowing that Saints ATC was not usually manned on a Sunday, whist Rhoose was, I mused silently about how they would eventually get rid of the aircraft after landing, as I watched it disappear beyond the rooflines. (I'm not sure that Saints strip would have the capacity)

A couple of moments later an enormous roar filled the sky and in the distance the rear end of the 74 could be seen as he blasted skyward! I had a little chuckle wondering what had been said on the flight deck. I think it would have certainly concentrated the FO's mind if he'd have had his hands on the controls at the time. If it had been the Capt, he would of course be "just testing"!

More to the point, was it tea break time at ATC Cardiff International??