PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 08:48
Bedlamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 320capt.
Just the other day landing into Delhi, ATIS said runway 09 for arrival, the area control started vectors saying "vectors for RWY 09". Finally when i get the final vector am told cleared for ILS 10..
Yes, some ATIS broadcasts can be a bit odd (PVG recently was saying the dep rway was 17... despite the notamed closure and the large flashing light equipped vehicles parked all over the take off threshold) but this should be taken into account, like any other input, and viewed in the light of all other inputs/knowledge/experience. The fact that DEL only has an ILS on 10 for easterly landings would have alerted me to ask the question of approach (I avoid non-precisions when I can). Unless a runway is closed DEL tend to use both for landings depending on whether you're off to the domestic terminal or the international terminal (one on the North side, one on the South).

This is back to my original point. What happens is we get a little too used to having all the decisions made for us and following every instruction a little too slavishly. I am always hearing people "ask" to deviate around weather - if they say no will you fly through it (you generically, not directed at you 320capt)? I always tell ATC I am deviating for weather and, if appropriate, give them a couple of options on which way. It comes back to applying a slightly sceptical/cynical view to all information we receive from whatever source and when the "disagree" light flashes in our head to question what is going on. As I wrote earlier, stop - trap - mitigate ... preferably in that order.