PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oldest a/c type in commercial service?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2000, 03:55
Avman

Unhappy

Aisleman am I right in thinking that your meaning was commercial airliners? If so, there's still a fair number scattered around the world in regular scheduled and ad hoc cargo work, and in some cases even passenger work. Propliners such as the DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Curtiss C-46 Commando, L-188 Electra come immediatedly to mind. Reeve still use their L-188s on scheduled passenger flights. On the jet side I'm not too sure about the Caravelle, but I wouldn't be surprised that one or two are still flying in some of the South American countries as well as the Belgian Congo/Zaire/Democratic Republic of Congo - or whatever they're calling themselves this week!

If you are attracted to propliners, there's an excellent profesionally produced enthusiasts quarterly magazine aptly called PROPLINER. Loads of interesting articles, some written by current or retired pilots, F/Es and various airline personnel. As it's a non-profit publication, I don't think it's available in newsagents. It costs fourteen quid a year and you can subscribe by writing to: "New Roots", Sutton Green Road, Guilford GU4 7QD. The magazine was founded and first produced 21 years ago by the late Stephen Piercey.