PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India Warplane Order
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2007, 06:47
BombayDuck

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You can rule out the F-16, the IAF isn't happy with it. The Gripen wont be purchased for political reasons as it has specs very similar to our own Light Combat Aircraft (Tejas) program. The Typhoon's delivery schedules will also affect its prospects, and the fact that currently it is available only in A2A form.

Everyone would love the Rafale, but the expense is the concern. Front runners are the MiG-35 and the F/A-18E.

I would love a split in the purchase - two squadrons' worth of Rafales and the rest MiG-35s. I have my doubts if the F/A-18E will come with the AESA radar; and with an older gen mechanically scanned radar, it loses out to the ZhukME and the RBE2.

There are rumours about the Superhornet being selected if they will allow us to build the F414 on license here, and use the engine for the Tejas too (currently, it runs on the older Hornet's F404 and it is slated to run an Indian engine, the Kaveri, which has seen a lot of trouble).

For once I think there is so much confusion at the higher levels that there hasn't yet been a leak to what they will end up buying!