PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???
Old 18th Jun 2007, 13:26
Bedlamair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get somewhat bemused by some of the "It could happen to anyone" responses to these sorts of incident. They are, at the end of the day, unforced errors. I do feel we have taken the "No blame" culture, vital for the improvement of safety, to an illogical extreme when we fail to say that the pilot in such an incident has been unprofessional. In my experience, these incidents could have been avoided had the briefing, for example, been approached with a greater level of diligence. It was Big Airways who noticed that the spread of incidents was pretty random except for the fact that incidents hardly ever occured on line checks and that a "lack of rigour" was a uniform thread running through those that did.

There are some famed incidents mentioned above, from NW at Brussels to the mistaking of Ballykelly (was it?) for Derry and mistaking Northolt for LHR (I'm familiar with all those fields - as I am with DEL) - in all the cases there were so many signposts the crews failed to pay attention to that the mistake was coming. We are all human and all have the ability to make some horrendous errors - but it's our job to anticipate, trap or mitigate those errors before they come to fruition. Lets not allow our "no blame" culture to lure us into the mindset that these mistakes were unavoidable or inevitable.