PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Live Debate the Need For An Independent Air Force
Old 17th Jun 2007, 15:53
Hachet Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At last, this thread has developed into an interesting and informed debate, rather than infantile partisan willy waving (Jesus, I sound like my dad!).

I don't believe that the RAF will ever be disbanded if for no other reason, it would be politically unacceptable; we carry a disproportionate amount of clout amongst the corridors of power and for that reason, I don't think it will ever be seriously considered.

Wotsit and Wokka make some interesting points. I believe their could be some econmies of scale. Yes, the same number of aircraft would have to be operated and maintained, but we currently have more personnel to aircraft than any other Air Force in the world. This is not because we don't work hard, it's because we don't work efficiently. Too many people in too many trades and in too many examples a union state of mind where we are more concerned in maintaining our out of date working practices. But as Wokka says, just giving it away will not resolve that; not straight away anyway.

The AAC has its own problems; lack of support from the top echelons being the obvious one. Where as I believe the disbanding of the RAF unrealistic, I do believe that real Jointery within something like the JHC is far more likely. I'm not saying that the JHC has been a complete success, I'm saying that it hasn't simply because it hasn't done the joint thing properly. If you're going to do it, do it properly; same regulations, same trades, same ethos, dare I say it, same cap badge/uniform even.

As for the Navy, I agree that the new carriers are absolutely essential as is the strike capability that they will bring to the RN.

For us, I think that we should concentrate on Strike and AT. I know that that will mean an even smaller Air Force and the SH chaps won't like it, but as wotsit says, the current status quo is unsustainable and this would allow us to do what the other two services are unable to do.

Last edited by Hachet Harry; 17th Jun 2007 at 16:31.