PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAS and Typhoon
Thread: CAS and Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2007, 15:15
arthuro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi everyone!

I found this issue intresting, and I would like to add a piece of information to the debate.

Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy , visited and flew aboard the rafale recently, and that wasn't a problem in the sens that there was no controversy about it.
Maybe it is wrong, since all air forces are subjected to budget restrictions but i am not in this "business" like some of you are, so my opinion is of little importance.
but perhaps this news can help some of you to make your point...

Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy visited the French Air Force base at St Dizier this week and had the opportunity to fly in a Rafale F2 with the Officer Commanding from 17 Squadron. 17 Squadron is the first French Air Force Squadron to incorporate an Operational Evaluation Unit (OEU) and a Operational Conversion Unit (OCU)

The sortie; a medium level close air support mission which included Terrain Following Radar (TFR), consisted of 2 x Rafale F2; which has a full air-to-ground attack capability, against 2 x Mirage 2000 RDI multirole fighter aircraft. Air chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy was impressed with the Rafale F2 performance and the intuitive cockpit layout, and greatly impressed with the sensor fusion. The Rafale F2 aircraft at present are deployed in Afghanistan by the French Air Force and French Navy.The Chief of the Air Staff signing

The visit proved to be very successful and has opened the way for closer liaisons between the Typhoon OEU/OCU and 17 Squadron French Air Force in the future.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm...FB230750159FD9