PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Live Debate the Need For An Independent Air Force
Old 17th Jun 2007, 11:54
wotsit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncle Peter,

No, you are wrong. The big picture is that defence spending is not relative to the armed forces output or expected role. Unfortunately I cant see this changing so we need to change and adapt accordingly. In recent years the RAF has spent billions on Eurofighter (a lame duck if ever there was one, though I admit it will look great at air shows) whilst we lack battlefield helos and UAVs. And amongst all this no-one is still sure as to whether we are going to procure two extremely useful aircraft carriers.

The big picture is that defence spending is a highly politicised issue. The less big players divvying up scant resources means that money cant be better allocated (well until the DLO get hold of it).

The big picture is that dinosaurs like you fail to realise that we are in all but name UK Defence Force Plc. Understanding that to be the case we need to work towards the best organisational models that serve our operations. Where the RAF fits into this is a fair question to ask given that the army and RN COULD operate our assets. Sorry to rain on your battle of britain cocktail parade but that is reality. UK armed forces is now a collective entity and it is down to our senior officers (of whatever persuasion) to see that it is run as such.

PS - You were never my favourite uncle