PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you get to fly Warbirds?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2000, 17:04
beaver eager

Post How do you get to fly Warbirds?

Maybe this should be in Wannabes but….

Eight years ago at the Farnborough Air show, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer to get airborne so, the following week I at last booked that trial lesson I’d been putting off for years, and thus began the slow road of self improvement. I channelled it all into becoming an Airline Pilot as soon as possible (i.e. every penny went on hours building or courses and not doing ‘fun’ things with aeroplanes – just flying was fun enough at that time). Anyway, things went very well and now I drive a regional jet from the LHS.

Yesterday, at Duxford Airshow the sight of 21 Spitfires and 3 Hurricanes in a ‘Big Wing’ (I never thought I’d ever see such a sight) reminded me of the wannabe feeling that first inspired me as a child when visiting airshows with my dad. And I realise that I need a new challenge….

So how do you become one of these lucky guys who get to fly WW2 warbirds and vintage jets. Is it just loads of money, or do you have to be ex-military and know the right people to get invited.

Probably I need to get a share in a Slingsby/Pitts or similar and start having some fun first…

What’s the deal folks?