PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???
Old 15th Jun 2007, 10:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago, going into Cairo for an easterly VOR/DME, on the northern Rwy. Resident sand storm in attendance. B757. Having flown from the south there was much mapshift by the time we reached Cairo; suspected not verified. The correct RWY was selected in the FMC and an extended centreline created. A/c on a radar intercept heading; thus HDG SEL & VOR displayed on HSI. LNAV never a good idea in non-GPS a/c on base leg.
A/c flew straight though the purple line on PNF's map. Very disconcerting and un-nerving. VOR morse confirmed as the northly Rwy. Vis about 3lm's. Nothing to be seen and the E/W rwy's are about 2km's apart. Believe the raw data and fly the VOR. It turned out correct.
Consider what would have happened had a crew used LNAV to intercept finals on the MAP. As it happened the amount and direction of map shift would have put them very close to the southerly Rwy. If the lights had been on, and in the given vis, I'm sure someone would have landed on the takeoff runway, unless radar was alert.
I have also seen a B737, classic non GPS, line up on finals and make a late G/A at Murcia, where they were building a second Rwy on the north side of the terminal when the correct open rwy is on the south side. CAVOK VOR approach?? It's not difficult to do.

There is a new PNF call out: "ooops ooops, pull up".