PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???
Old 15th Jun 2007, 09:05
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
A VC10 landed at Sharjah instead of Dubai, years ago, from the East, I think. It's wasn't the only time someone's got muddled there.

They did a roller, having realised that it was wrong just after being committed to touch down.

The skipper was disciplined for taking off into controlled airspace without clearance, because it was felt there were several good excuses for getting the wrong runway, as indeed there were. (Vis poor, navaids poor, ATC off the ball etc etc).

I have the record, i think, for identifying the wrong runway and landing on it twice in one day after getting clearance to finals and then to land on the right one (Orange military airbase for Orange civil, and Rome Fumincino (?spelling) for Rome Ciampino). My inadequate excuse was that I had no navaids, the weather was awful, I was using a half-million map, and no-one told me there was another runway close-by so I landed on the first one I saw in about the right place. Light aircraft, admittedly, and who cares, but I'm not going to criticise anyone for getting it a little bit wrong in the land-on-the-right-runway department, even in a big shiny jet with lots of dials and things.

Respeck, Mr Murphy, Sir.