PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take Off Flaps - 210
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2007, 22:20
kiwiblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitting the Thread Drift Reversal Thyristor!!!

I've been sitting on my fingers, waiting for someone else (anyone???) to pick up on this...

Originally Posted by 206Dog
I, like ForktailedDrKiller have also used full flap on one occasion in the C210, in my case with 4 pax, 15KG bags each and 4hours fuel.
Hitting the switch to the 'Full Flap' position (at gross weight yet), ballooning up over whatever it was you needed to avoid in ground-effect, then bleeding the flap back off again does not a full-flap departure make!!! Your flaps probably never made it to full extension! Something you should be eternally grateful for. As you should know, you'll gain most benefit from your flaps between 12 and 16 degress, from memory; after that, it's basically pure drag (increasing exponentially) -which in any Cessna I've ever flown, will drag you straight back into the ground, despite your current power setting or heroics with the pole.

So despite the fact that you had selected full-flap, the flap motor probably allowed only to or slightly beyond best CL before you started bleeding flap off again.

drifting again...

CC: Have read your posts re T/O power settings with interest -and I agree with what you're saying (read my previous on the subject). However, with regard FF -not all CSU equipped aircraft enjoy the advantage of a FF gauge, calibrated or otherwise. Most do, as they should, but some including BN2, C182, CSU equipped C172 (can't remember the model designation), Piper PA28 and I'm sure others, don't.

Just a thought