PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - florida or london
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2007, 10:40
sussexlad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gcolyer I wasn't trying to invoke a debate on practices in the UK vs practices in the US so sorry if my post had that tone.

But I certainly stand by my points, the R/T I witnessed in Florida was shocking, Bizjets on final having discussions with the ATCO about the weather in Barbados when there are 4 training a/c in the circuit, expressions that would have a better place in hollywood movies. I was particually amused by "I got 2366 on the box buddy" from a departing IFR flight referring to his transponder.

You can leave frequencies without reporting in certain situations, for eg. departing a controlled Class D aerodrome VFR.

I agree that with good planning you can navigate through the various airspaces in the UK, but unfortunately the standards of pilots vary massively and MATZ/airspace busts were a common cause of CPL test failures when I was doing my CPL.

As for legal rights, you simply have no recourse with a US school. You are on a visa which they can cancel at any time. If you think you have been unfairly, tough sh*t. You at least have the option of legal action here in the UK.

Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed hour building in the US and I enjoyed the lifestyle, and the US's attitude to GA flying is excellent, but from personal experience (which I admit is limited, I am a low hour pilot), my friends who took their PPL's in the US are far less confident and ended up needing further training when they returned to the UK.