PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong RWY landing ??? In this day and age ???
Old 13th Jun 2007, 18:57
capt ronweb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrong runway

Never mind New Delhi, I do recall with complete clarity being at the holding point at Kirkwall (EGAA) for RW27, the wind being 270/15, overcast 600,as I recall just above the non precision MDA. It was a DME ARC approach to both runways in those days more that 10 but less than 20 years ago,approaching from the south you just turned left for 09 and right for 27, no bother we thought!! Anyway we heard, I'll just call him "boyo" make his position report "established on the arc" no mention of what runway but at this stage we had only been on the frequency for a few minutes so, shame on me I "imagined" he had been specific to the controller previously , after all the wind was westerly at 15 kts!! To cut a long story short in the flight deck we are both looking out to our right ie to the east straining to catch sight of "boyo" making his landing so we could then get on our way back to EGPD.
There are few ways to describe our surprise when out of the left corner of my eye I noticed a movement and upon looking to the left who did we see racing past with his 15 knot tailwind but our friend "boyo". He managed to land and stop, what a micacle!
It all went quiet for a while and then the controller asked "boyo" to give him a call....on the phone, I was not privy to that conversation (******)and I never saw or heard anything further about it.
We certainly learned a great deal from that afternoon. We got back in one piece and still flying in Scotland.
Good night and good luck.