PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2007, 16:07
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
S-H

“All IPTs were mandated to have safety cases in place by end of March 04 I think it was”.

I do not doubt this for one minute, but it merely demonstrates the complete disconnect between elements of MoD. At precisely the same time, CDP and Ministers were still upholding numerous previous rulings that safety (in general, including airworthiness) and adherence to Defence Standards (for example, 05-123) was optional, both for MoD employees and industry – the latter regardless of what their contracts said. And have continued to. These written rulings were made in the context of project managers appealing against criticism in annual reports for (allegedly) wasting time and money by striving for airworthiness and safety in various helicopters and their equipment, in accordance with said Def Stans.

It is also important to note that, while a Safety Case may exist, it has to be relevant to the aircraft build standard at any given time. It is one thing to deliver safety in the first place, but maintaining safety through life is grossly underfunded and considered a “waste of money” by many IPTs, presumably in sympathy with these CDP/Ministerial rulings.

S-H – I think I prefer your way!