PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - rental in USA with existing validation
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2007, 13:55
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renter's Insurance
I'm glad that AOPA (UK) is taking an interest in this subject because AOPA (US) just stopped answering my emails once I pressed the point that I was a foreigner living in foreign land who was seeking insurance to fly in the US. (I am referring to the association, not the insurance broker).

It seems that Insurers may be willing to take your money and turn a blind eye, even in the case of using the FBO address, so long as you don't labour the point that you don't actually live there. If you do labour the point, they will just stop responding to your enquiries.

I wonder if this behaviour, which seems consistent between brokers, is the result of some insurance industry convention. After, there's a similar practice over car insurance which prevents your UK insurer covering you in the US, even though they will cover you in exotic countries elsewhere. Perhaps the word 'cartel' comes into it?
As to flying uninsured in the US, well that's the deal. In addition, you have to assume that the FBO's hull insurance is an unknown quantity because even if he claims to have it, you have no realistic way to find out if he's paid the premium. Funny thing is, I wouldn't dream of renting a car there without the LDW and SLI.
Realistically your chances of injuring a 3rd party are pretty small provided you don't carry passengers. But you might have to buy the FBO a new plane.

Last edited by david viewing; 12th Jun 2007 at 08:41.