PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take Off Flaps - 210
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2007, 15:32
ITCZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITCZ, You are very wrong. Please don't assume you know me.
Mate, I hope I am wrong about your attitude, but I suspect not. Allow me to claim at least 20% correct in my assessment -- your profile says 27yo.

If you say things like...
something the test pilots never have the luxury of doing in there limited testing programs
..... then you know less about aircraft certification and test flying than I do about you.

Discussions about the potential capabilities of aircraft and how those capabilities might be employed in unusual situations is always attractive to pilots. The problem is that focussing on the unusual becomes an end in itself for some people. And I don't want to bury any more of them.

It might not be as sexy a concept, but true professionalism in CIVIL aviation is first and foremost based on knowledge and compliance with the normal operating envelope of the aeroplane, what Airbus system designers called the Green zone. Having strategies to recover an aircraft from undesired flight states back into the green zone is also part of our professional toolbox.

However, on at least four occasions I have sat and listened pilots speculating on the capabilities of their aircraft, and those pilots, thinking they were honing their professional skills, went out some time later and became truly 'at one' with their aeroplanes.. that is, their noses and eyeballs mashed into the broken glass and intricate gearing of their AH and ASI.

So I don't just sit quietly anymore when I hear similar thoughts expressed here. Consider yourself jumped on, deal with it, I would rather have you pissed off yet alive and alert to the fact that not everyone thinks your ideas are okay.

This thread is about entry level aeroplanes, and will be attracting a lot of interest from low time guys.

If you want to get to know your aeroplane, read the book. Don't go experimenting, and don't put your trust in the offhand remarks of some idiot that maybe has a whole 1,000hrs more than you.