PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Businessmen set to sue Etihad
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2007, 22:08
Dave The Snail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the day I think this incident will serve as a message to most westerners to think long and hard about the way they act in and around the Middle East.

I have been travelling from Oz to the UAE for several years now and have watched the progressive decline in respect for the local culture and law - it was only a matter of time before something like this went over the top.

As far as the liquor laws go - they are unfortunately 'fluid'. The law might say you cannot drink at a hotel unless you are a guest but we all know that is garbage. Indeed, at the Airport Expo in DXB last week there was more beer and champagne flowing than at the Melbourne Cup, without any bother.

The UAE is now becoming the 'flavour of the month' for westerners as it is now seen as accessible and the 'cool' place to visit. Unfortunately, many westerners are more interested in whether it's a 'safe' place or not. Once they know it is, they just barge n in without any due diligence. On my visit last week, I took it upon myself to caution a lovely young Aussie girl that her shorts were, well, SHORT and she would be well advised to put something on before venturing out into the streets unless she wanted to get abused or spat at (it still happens).

The message is simple - Be careful, know and respect the law, and show respect for the locals and their culture. I always do and it's never got me into any trouble.