PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie Businessmen set to sue Etihad
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2007, 18:46
bluesfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
concerned

Hello Everyone:

I’ve been following the discussion on this thread and while I don’t want to comment on the actual incident that is being discussed, I did want to sound off on something I noticed in some of the posts and that is, a rather disturbing tendency to label people based on their nationality. Stereotypes, you see, are just never fair at all no matter how much “truth” they may be rooted-in, and no matter how prevalent they may be, because there will always be a diversity in attitudes, thoughts, etc. within people who are otherwise united by certain nationality. Therefore, a stereotype would never do justice to the minority (or majority) who may not fit in it. No matter how tempting it might be to think otherwise, a person’s nationality or status should never be a factor by which this person’s attitudes or mentalities are measured. You can get all kinds of mentalities or attitudes within any given nationality, it something strictly individual.

Of course, in the end of the day I believe in people’s freedom to have their own opinions, but I have always enjoyed Pprune as a forum for those of us in the industry to share thoughts and knowledge in an environment of openness, empathy and professionalism, and I hate to see such a beautiful thing be tainted by what may be unfair or biased rhetoric. After all Pprune is what we as users make it.

Just my 2 cents…