PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2007, 15:37
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to hazard a guess.

Most people do not have a scoobee.

As for delays costing airlines money. The vast majority of delays do not cosy the airline anything. They do not offer subsistence to their passengers, they certainly don't pay their service providers anything extra so I'm not sure where the envisaged costs come from.

What delays do is cause havock on the ground as the GH companies (or Airport PRM & bus drivers) can not magic staff out of thin air when aircraft arrive late. This is why the first slot of the day is so critiacal and why the airport infrastructure has a big part to play. Delay the first departure and you've effectively stuffed the rest of the day on that airframe and dragged other aircraft in to the mix when the delayed flights demand/expect to be handled no matter what time they arrive.

I have personally been in the position of delay (70mins) handling to a late arriving flight to keep others on time. The flight arrived smack in the middle of a peak period. I still wince at the rocket I took from everyone - the customer airline, the airport management (who's duty management should return to First School), the Captain who wanted to get home (bless) etc.
Who did they all blame?
What did the Captain say to the passengers?
Their useless GH company of course - the fact they were running over 7 hours off schedule and their operations department could not tell anyone when the aircraft would arrive nor the departure from downline did not seem to factor into their thinking.

Heyho, happy days!