PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does this leave Professional Pilots ??
Old 20th Dec 2001, 07:17
Gunner B12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the posts here are looking into the big picture; some are fixated on small detail. Perhaps it would be beneficial to restate what should be discussed, I’ll try but I’m sure some will try and correct me.

In light of the court proceedings regarding a person being in control of a vehicle when knowingly fatigued causing death or injury. How should pilots address the liabilities regarding the position the employer puts them in by the current rostering systems.

If we are taking the problem seriously we need to look at how we can break the cycle that could lead to an undesired, fatigue induced, chain of events. This calls for appreciation of everybody’s responsibility not to just blame the person who ultimately screws up. It is easy in these circumstances to only look at the poor fool who was the one who got caught out by his actions but that does not do anything about all the other accidents just waiting to happen.

From the pilots point of view this means complaining about poor rostering at least once and in writing. Any company, which ignores a written notification of a safety issue, deserves all it gets. Make sure a copy of the letter can be found if anything happens to you. It then means trying to do something your self if the company doesn’t.

An earlier suggestion about cheap accommodation is the way forward but have you thought of organising it yourselves. Approach the company and the airport authority, see if the company will match any funds raised and will the authority provide free space. The simplest answer is probably the type of accommodation that the mining companies in WA use lovingly referred to as “dongas”. Basically they are transportable units often little more than converted containers split into a number of bedrooms. Arrange fund raising events to get them started. Find out if there are any safety organisations or other companies that will sponsor them. Don’t just stick to your own company, get together with others it’s a common problem.

Up until recently I was purely SLF, I am currently learning to fly, but due to my age will probably never make it into the professional fraternity. I don’t therefore know of the union arrangements you guys have but they should be willing to coordinate your efforts. I know this seems simplistic but it can be done and is better than waiting for someone else to solve your problems for you. In Oz staff often have what are termed as “Busy bees” (I think that’s right) where they get together to improve their own facilities at work so it can be done.

I’ll get off my soapbox now; sorry if this was a little long winded.