PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots are Set
Thread: Pilots are Set
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2007, 22:05
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
During a fairly protracted EBA negotiation some years ago, The Check and Training staff, some dozen or so in total, were complaining that they were overworked and under paid. In my opinion they were right.

Their loading was covered by a clause in the current EBA, and they came to my team asking that we press their case for an increase. We did this quite vigourously, but typically management were unmoved and responded that it was not on because there was not enough money.

As they represented only 15% of the then pilot workforce their, and subsequently our, bargaining position was not strong.

The next logical step I told them was to withdraw their labour and resign from the check and training department.

They were Angry and generally p#&$ed off, but not one of them resigned!

I guess what I am trying to say is that we have been used to taking the crap from these guys (management) for so long, we need to recognise that we don't have to take it any longer.

Lets face it most pilots are motivated by ambition and Ego. The Check and Trainers I have mentioned were in my opinion no different to the rest of us. They sqaundered a terrific opportunity to really improve their T&C's. Instead, they reacted to their own short term agenda's and the rest was history.

Lodown,

you're absolutely right. The individual is now in a great position. There is blood in the water, but we need to attack with thought.

The DJ Boys and Girls are leading the way. As I said before, it's going to be an interesting year(s)!