PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another "is it legal" question....Landing in the open?
Old 4th Jun 2007, 14:54
tegwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "is it legal" question....Landing in the open?

Have done a search on this one and havn't shown up much....

Was just a hyperthetical thought that popped into my mind....

I live very close to the welsh mountains and fly over/through them regularly...(ppl(H))

Is it legal to land (providing its safe to do so) on the open moorland in the mountains for an hour or so to have a picnic? [I have identified a site which is open, flat and smooth (in the lower foothills) and should be uneffected by mountain winds...also the time I plan to go there shouldnt be anyone around]..The area is used a lot by 4x4's at the weekends so its not like I will be adding any more polution or erosion etc..

Obviously getting a non-start would not be a good idea in the mountains and watching the weather would be important...

The only other thing that was of a slight concern would be other aircraft flying overhead....would they assume a forced landing and call for help due to the heli being parked in such an exposed and unusual location?

The only reason I was even thinking this atall was that im contemplating popping the question to my ladyfiend and this picnic in the mountains sounds like a good idea in my head...