PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2007, 07:28
Cough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok my take on this subject...
May I start with the Italians...I do like the way that they operate. I like the fact that the majority of conversation with Italian speaking aircraft is in English. I can then follow the traffic picture, whilst Italian chat does go on to resolve the 'other stuff' (I don't object to this and is more effective for the more complex stuff) the majority is in English and that is important. As for being more 'Cavalier' they are getting better and better. I prefer operating to Italy (I accept the beaurocracy that goes with it too...)
Onto Spain. Spanish sometimes get priority. Sometimes I have in my Brit reg jet. Move on, wait your turn and go when told, coz whilst I am sitting on the ground I'm still burning my hours.... (see where I'm coming from?) I ain't bovvered!
Right, ATC wise whilst airborne. Within the last year I have been vectored 3nm behind a heavy on approach (I fly a medium) IMC - When asked about the aircarft ahead I was told 737 - sent to next frequency. Next frequency told me A310 and did the correct thing of breaking off my approach. THAT IS WHAT I CANNOT STAND, BEING LIED TO. Geddit... Whilst the Spanish/English mix prevails, I can not gain the traffic picture and thus can't stop this stuff at the beginning. The above was the subject of a Safety report. Another 4 of serious nature (2 worse then the example above) have been filed by me in the last year about ATC standards in Spain.
As far as I see it, if they are good enough then they should be able to operate mixed English/Spainish. In my opinion, they aren't so English should prevail.
/quiet mode/