PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2007, 07:08
Nil further

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Claudillo , nice post . . . . . . . . however
We have all heard of the accident chain , in my post above , i know now that the wind at touchdown must have been around 15k on the tail , NOT CALM .
If that is not the "first link in the chain" i dont know what is .When you add on the next link of the IBeria behind us chasing up our tail at 300 k and the kamikaze viuals of the Spanair men then the chain is forming , only one more link and you have an accident/incident.
Lets say i had a junior colleague as PF, he floats long in the tail wind and then its all looking a bit tight , and as you are habituallly cleared to land whilst the other guy is still on the runway . . . . . . . . . . .
I dont see that getting loads of radar vectors in the UK is in anyway analgous to telling the crew of a 100 tonne aircraft that the wind is calm when in fact there is a tailwind that exceeds the aircrafts certification !
Grow up guys its not an attack on Spanish culture ,Spanish men ,Spanish women or Spanish airlines . All i want is the truth about the weather conditions and an acknowledgement that standards could be improved at most of the Spanish major airports.
There are some regional airports in the UK that really need to pull their socks up as well ,in many cases they have not changed their procedures for thirty years .The seperation on final at GLA & EDI springs to mind ! Self vectoring and establishing at 40DME at BFS is another.