PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Response to "Please pass your message"
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2007, 11:10
PompeyPaul
Pompey till I die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Response to "Please pass your message"

Am just perusing my CAP413 and enjoying what has turned out to be a magnificent read.

I am slightly confused by the response to "please pass your message" though ?

Chapter 3 - page 6 - 1.5.3
When instructed by the ATS Unit to 'pass your message', the reply should contain the following information, Whenever possible in the order specified:

A) Aircraft call sign \ type
B) Departure point & destination
C) Present position
D) Level
E) Additional details / Intention
We are then treated to a very good pilot who rattles off this information with ease.
G-CD, Cessna172, from Borton to Walden, 15Nm South of Westbury, altitude 2500 feet Wessex 1008, VFR tracking to Wells
This guy sounds like he knows what he's doing, he almost definately gets the chicks at parties.

However, "1.6 Position reporting" on the next page states

Position reports shall contain the following elements of information:

A) Aircraft identification
B) Position
C) Time
D) Level
E) Next position and ETA
Some hot shot top gunner then gives us an example

Fastair 345 Wicken 47 FL280 Marlow 57
Suddenly our Cessna pilot has become unstuck, he hasn't reported his position using the position reporting. Whilst I understand he's passed some of the information, he is missing some stuff out. Surely it should be:
G-CD, Cessna172, from Borton to Walden, 15Nm South of Westbury (time), altitude 2500 feet Wessex 1008, (next destination) (ETA @ destination) VFR tracking to Wells
Which is confusing because CAP413 seems to contradict itself ?

Any advice or input greatly received. PLEASE don't tell me what happens at the end of the book though, I can feel the suspense building and don't want to ruin it. Also does anybody know if they plan to do a film version ? I actually thought it would transfer quite well to the west end as a musical.