PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore sets first A380 pay rates
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2007, 10:47
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This can be a very interesting discussion that goes back years, probably forty or so.
When I flew the 737, four sectors a day, five days a week I could generate some very impressive productivity figures, passenger revenue kilometers etc. etc. but was always beaten down by the L1011 Tristar fleet who claimed they were more productive. How? One full flight for, say, eight hours, thirty six hours in a hotel and another full flight back followed by at least two days off, who, would you say, is the more productive? The various arguments ranged back and forth but, I noticed, always depended on which fleet you were on!

Have to say that having eventually made it to the 747 fleet I was happy to take the money!

BCal, I think, introduced a pay scale that totally ignored the fleet, aircraft size etc. but paid you as a Capt/FO based on years of service. The rationale was that this meant that people flew the fleet that suited them best and you didn't get disgruntled crew sitting down route saying they had to go long haul for the money. Probably long haul allowances would have been better than short haul but that would only compensate for time away and I always regarded them as pocket money!

SIA's idea that they could drive the A380 rates down to the B777 and lower than the B747 is just plain daft and I am surprised the management ever allowed it to go to court, unfortunately there is very little real aviation experience within the upper echelons of SIA management, just 'Bean counters'.