PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can afford it?
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2007, 07:02
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One can aim to go places (which is why I learnt in the first place) or one can do aerobatics.
One can also.....

1) Get together with another PPL (or several), find a school/club that will lend you an aircraft for a few hours, and do quite a lot of UK touring, trying new airfields, going to fly-ins etc. Half the money, half the work, twice the fun, and it'll keep you going for a couple of years at least, depending how often you fly.

2) Bimble till you get bored. It takes some people a while, even years, to get bored with boring holes in the local sky - and some never do. Then, having saved a bit of money, do an IMC and night rating...and take it from there.

3) Do a taildragger conversion and learn to fly lots of different aircraft.

4) Convert to microlights - lots cheaper, and quite a good social scene...though I wasn't involved in it for long enough to know much.

5) Bore holes in sky, build up hours, get to know about parachute jumping or gliding, and then you can tow gliders or drop jumpers - free flying, legally.

6) Get in touch with your local ATC. They're often desperate for instructors. If you can give up one day a week, usually at weekends, they'll train you for free, and you'll get loads of flying - usually in motor gliders.

7) Gradually get experience, then consider doing CPL exams and FI rating. If you take your time, look on it as useful experience, and don't put yourself under pressure, it's fairly enjoyable, and spread over time not all that expensive. The you can instruct in your spare time...and get paid!!!!!!!

8) Get involved at your local club/school. Some pay a bit for things like being an A/G operator, and you save the money and use it to fly. Not quite sure how it works, as I abandoned it after a few hours, but search around, and it could keep you airborne during times when cash is a problem.

9) Keep current, learn French (or other European languages), try to manage at least one European trip, and let it be known that you're willing to do continental trips with other pilots. Lots can't speak French, which means they can't fly into small airfields. I haven't tried it, but I bet you get a few trips that way.

10) Don't believe everything that yor flying instructor, local club, friends, IO540 or anyone else tells you (including me) - look around yourself and find out what's possible. And don't ever believe that you can't do it, whatever it is, if you want to.