PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jaguar landing at Leeds airport?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 16:53
Ray Darr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

You asked: "facility" to autoland...

Well, (having autolanded at Leeds before myself...) I would like to point out (to the chorus of many “Boo’s!” out there!) that there are many "facilities" capable of autolanding even a Mallard DUCK - IF the (duck) is so equipped!!

Serious answer: NO IDEA what has autoland capability in the armed forces (of whoever's country). You'd think at least the C-17 is? I’ll defer that answer to those that salute for a living! I seriously doubt the Jaguar (or anything in that category) can autoland (but I’ve been wrong before!).

Leeds is a regular diversionary practice aerodrome, by the way. I have to agree with one poster thatLeeds makes for a darn sight better overnight stop than many on HM’s approved diversionary list!

Leeds can be a whopper of a place to LAND at, yet alone autoland. Landing north, that darn strip drops away EXACTLY at the point the rubber-bits normally tend to kiss the ground, so you can wind up chasing terra-firma for an uncomfortable length of time. Throw in the Autoland equation, and add the manufacturers recommended maximum tailwind component and you have a VERY interesting arrival. In my opinion even HALF the recommended tailwind is a tad on the “holy CRA-P!” end of the scale. Ahh the memories…

By the way, last time I was in the Lake District I had the CRAP spooked out of me (and Mrs. Darr) when two of Her Majesty's finest winged-wonders shot past us AT EYE-LEVEL at a fabulous rate (somewhere near Hardknott pass - FABULOUS place, huh?!). It brought a "Go Get'Em Boys!" cheer from both of us those magnificent Jaguars headed west!

~Ray Darr

(Edited to add in some reminiscing)

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: Ray Darr ]