PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dotars paranoia
Thread: Dotars paranoia
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 05:19
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While security screening is in process at a certain aerodrome in W.A., I am allowed to use the gate code to go to my GA aeroplane and load my luggage into it. I can also pre-flight it and do anything else that may need doing. However, before I depart, I must go BACK through the gate and proceed through security screening, having left ANYTHING I want IN the aircraft!
"a certain aerodrome" I think you will find it is all aerodromes where the aircraft apron is part of the security controlled area. Some aprons were large enough to allow a delineated area for non-screening of pilots or pax boarding GA aircraft. Just like at Perth airport where you can board your plane anywhere on the GA apron then merrily taxi amongst the big boys.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say AerocatS2A. You know it, I know it, DOTARS knows it but won't openly admit it. Unfortunately because the industry consultation was a crock, it is now enshrined in legislation and probably difficult to change. Creampuff - can probably best explain the process required here.

Had DOTARS properly consulted across industry before bringing all this in, a lot of these anomolies would have been identified and more appropriate measures introduced.

As an aside, the cabin security requirements and weapons restrictions must be driven by the country or region in which the flight is operating. I flew Emirates between Peshawa and Dubai last December and was given a steel knife with my cuttlery. I recall similar practices between Johannesburg and Luanda a few years back also.