PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why should we go to Swanwick?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 16:33
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Jones

In the real world where I used to work (before I joined NATS), I was in a mobile grade i.e. the military.

In the course of my career, I moved to different postings on average, once every 14 months (I am being a little generous with the figures there as I am counting postings away from 'home' of 2 months or more).

I joined NATS, two of the many reasons being the better rates of pay (with no enforced unpaid secondary duties) and the fact that I would not have to move so much, despite it still being a mobile grade.

So now I am having to move to Swanwick from West Drayton.... chances are, unless I want to, or I fk up horrendously at work, or the centre somehow collapses into a mine shaft overnight, I will never have to move job location again.

I do not think that the attitude I display of 'you know where the door is - put up or shut up' is immature. NATS staff have been lucky in that they have not had to move often in their careers, despite being in a mobile grade.

Yes, of course it will cause a bit of an upheaval, but you, Mr Jones, are not the only one that may have some issues that this move brings up, however, you knew what you signed up to, so now is the time to fulfill that part of the contract that is seldom excercised by the company.

The other option, for those who want to whinge so much, is that they can leave the company and try to find a job elsewhere that pays as well for the amount of hours we do - whether they be ATCO or Assistant.

The move is happening, if you have a whinge, see your management, but don't expect them to decide to keep West Drayton open because it inconveniences you.