PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salaries
Thread: Salaries
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 11:38
THESTROMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi all. I have been reading Pprune for years and decided to join - you might want to say what am I posting on here for but here goes ......

I have wanted to fly ever since I can remember taking my first trial lesson some 13 years ago, however never had the money for training nor University - so I decided to head to the UK where I worked as a barman, waiter, temp bank clerk and now I have been trading equities on the LSE for close to 8 years.

My day consists of waking-up at 04:45 to start my day 'chained to the desk' by 6am and do not walk out of here till gone 17:30 -18:00. The stress levels are horrendous some days and have had shingles and stress related conditions at the age of 32!! I have a flat in CPT, JHB, a house in London and can even afford to send back money for my mom who has absolutely no savings or pension - the earning in this job is v/good and end of year bonuses are embaressing but everyday, sitting at my desk watching the 06:35 SAA coming in from JHB/CPT or any airline on approach to Heathrow, I have this empty feeling inside and a burning desire to try the trade of becoming ANY sort of fixed wing pilot.

What I am trying to say is I have been away from SA for close on 10 years and am coming back to get my comm etc etc. I have been on both sides of the poverty line, believe me money helps but doesn't make getting up every morning doing something your heart is not committed to any easier -NO MATTER WHAT THE SALARY IS .....

Can I ask the experienced lot - once I have finished my training in SA are the chances of being hired as a pilot far between / very few and far between / or possible? any suggestions appreciated. Regards