PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do pilots keep paying for Endorsements?
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:21
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which came first?

Yep, some will pay, some won't pay... The actual argument is a bit like the chicken and the egg.
I don't intend to pay for an endorsement, jet or otherwise.
In fact, I think that those who do pay will be far more likely to regret it, than those who refuse, particularly with things shaping up the way they are now. PPRuNe is an anonymous forum, but I reckon if all were revealed tomorrow, the "I won't pay - it's the principle of it" camp would be showing an average experience / time in the industry level somewhat above that of the "yeah I can afford it so show me a jet" camp. Just a feeling I get from reading this thread (and the many other similar ones).
I wouldn't mind so much if it was only your own future careers you were jeopardizing with such actions, but you see it's mine too, and every other professional pilot. You hand employers the wedge, thin end aimed at us all, and say "go for it". Think hard about your actions before you reply to this post. This is why it gets personal! Ask yourself honestly how you would feel and respond in the same position.
You ask for the debate to remain "professional" (I think that's what was said - if not I'm not interested in mincing up words you know what I mean) but you are acting in what must be considered a quite unprofessional manner.
Stop for a moment and just entertain the possibility that you DO NOT KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU THINK.
I'd encourage you to do this in general as you progress through your career. By listening to older/wiser heads (I don't mean myself either) it is possible to LEARN.
I can walk into my crew room and know I'm amongst friends. I don't sit in there "watching my back". It's a good feeling, far above the "every man for himself" mentality that you are promoting and participating in by funding your own endorsement.
Any one considering paying for an endorsement, be very careful. Think long and hard about all that it involves. The consequences may very well remain with you well past your 1000th jet hour. This is your chosen career, not a day at the beach ffs...
Why is it so hard to take anything other than a short term, immediate gratification stance? It really should be a no-brainer.
CR.