PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 43 Air School for a Kenyan
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:06
Lex44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disclaimer: Dont shoot the messenger!
I have just learnt from the grapevine that:
Some students washed have gone ahead to finish their training elsewhere and meet the same standards set -'the ones they were accused of not meeting!'. Talk of what an environment change can do to a student's morale.

About the Nairobi meeting held sometime last year, I hear it was brought about by some explosive case of high handedness and the school directors were at a loss to explain it/them and made concessions to prevent loss of business. It's all business!

The 'case' had caused a delay in the dispatch of more cadets to the school. Understandably.

It is obvious (dare I say) that KQ is one of the school's most valued clients but unfortnately its cadets are the most mistreated! There seems to be a major dislike/envy of the cadets by the school - talk of the necessary evil. What an environment to train in. A FM is rumoured to have said 'we like ripping kenyans of their money!' - whatever that meant.

Another set of cadets were sent to another school and the results were better, and they all fared well meeting the same standards set. Another set sent to 43 had worse luck, wash card raised severally and major concerns raised by the students on the procedure followed for this and questionable manner it was done. Different set of cadets selected from the same group of kenyans achieve dissimilar results at different institutions. Ummh...

May I digress a little and ask if the school was well prepared for the growth in the last several years? Seems to me that it wasnt - there must be a tradition for handling airline clients and that takes time. Were steps taken in readiness for these new set of clientele? Me thinks that the rapid growth may have fooled some to bahave with impunity. Mistakes will be made along the way, as it shows now, but you must learn from them. Higher standards may have been misconstrued to mean high wash outs regardless. Me thinks if you demand high standards, you must provide a conducive environment for them to be achieved. Nurture the student to be at ease not afraid to achieve his/her potential and be professional when the wash card is raised if necessary. Back your case well. Dont grin!

I just happened to see this elsewhere: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28345 . “….recent criticism
that, directed at OATS, about the perceived treatment of airline sponsored cadets versus self-sponsored students.” By Dirk. What was that about and does it mirror what's happening at 43 or was it the opposite - 'airline guys favoured there'?

Again, dont shoot the messenger. The truth is hard to accept sometimes. Let your eyes wander elsewhere if you cant face it.