PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVFR - Worth it?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2007, 06:00
trashie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to spark up the debate, IMHO the NVFR is with IFR circling approaches the most hazardous flying activity that for many pilots not given the due respect or caution it deserves. The training does include some basic IF however, while there are some ongoing basic currency requirements necessary, when are any proficiency night flying/IF checks undertaken? I have rarely seen a NVFR pilot undergo instrument or night proficiency during biennial AFRs.

There have been a number of NVFR accidents in Australia. One I recall when a C182 crashed at Warnambool several years ago killing all four on board. I also conducted a study of NVFR accidents some time ago during an argument with Dick Smith on the subject and the percentage of fatalities in night accidents far exceeded fatalities in day accident per hours flown.

A previous thread mentioned the Black hole effect; however, when is this phenomona or other any illusion such as vestibular illusions, autokinesis, false horizons etc revisited or even taught during the rating.

The NVFR was really only meant to recover aircraft after last light yet we have aircraft flying at will over the GAFA pitch black, no horizon and with limited night flying exerience - scary stuff!!

Sadly we have repeated this with the Private Pilot IR. While I have no issue with the competencies required to obtain a license I have grave concerns that there are no further proficiency requirements laid down unlike the CIR.
Currency yes, proficiency no. We all at some stage fall into bad habits unless your the perfect pilot (then you should NOT be flying). Just like a golfer needs his/her swing adjusted every now and again, flying proficiency need to be assessed from time to time to iron out any bad habits or faults.