PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KIWI pilots moving to Australia
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2007, 01:46
runway16

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
If I read another PPrune thread correctly the new Maryborough, Qld. international flight college, Flight Training Queensland, is to have a number of import Kiwis' as flight instructors. This probably comes about as a result of not being able to get enough instructors here in Australia. Indeed Flight Training Adelaide, also part of the Flight Training group. is having to sponsor instructor training in order to get enough instructors

And why cannot enough instructors of the right level be found in Australia?

I think that that was summed up in an article the I saw in Australian Aviation magazine (?) recently when it said that pay and conditions had not encouraged people to get into the flying training system here in Australia. I have to agree with that and it seems that employers still do not get the message.

The GA pilots award is a bottom level safety net. It is not as if someone wants to get into flying training as a career because there are good dollars, prospects and work conditions to want to aim for. Instructing has long been considered the hour building game that helps you get the tickets to assist to get you into better paid and more secure airline flying.

In short if you pay peanuts you get monkeys (or no starters).

The day that employers start to pay real money (taking into consideration the length of training, the cost involved and the risks involved (no general insurance if you fly for example)) and vastly improve the conditions then people will aspire to be flying training instructors as a career and not a short term pass time.