PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can afford it?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2007, 17:36
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't so much a case of being able to afford the occasional hour, as being able to enjoy it without thinking of what else the money could have bought.
Ah, but you see that's the difference between aviation addicts and normal people. We don't think like that.

For me, there's Real Life, and then there's Aviation (and also long haul holidays and cats, where I think the same way, but never mind about that).

For my chosen addiction, if I have the money, within reason (ie without starving or serious debt), then it's not too expensive. I don't think about what else I could spend it on...what else could there be? Is there anything else? How on earth could I prefer anything else to flying?

But Real Life, that's different. I don't earn all that much, so I'm very frugal. I rarely change my car, don't eat out much, buy clothes in markets or secondhand shops. I agonise over whether to take the M6 Toll road if going south, not because it's a rip-off, which it is, but because 4 quid is a lot of money! I'm ecstatic if I can save money by buying something on Ebay.

In Real Life, if something is a tenner, it's expensive. In aviation, if it's only 150 quid, it's cheap.

I know quite a lot of other people who operate this way. If we didn't, we couldn't possibly justify our flying. It's nsane by normal standards, I know, but then, did any of us ever claim to be normal?