PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 43 Air School for a Kenyan
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 20:23
oerlikon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aha

I am not legally trained, musaQ, but I do believe you have a right to a copy of your training file, if not to use as ammunition against the school, then at least for use in furthering your aviation career (as I stated previously, any school you join will need to have a record of what you have done so far). If the school is not willing to furnish you with a copy of the file then perhaps you should consider legal means of attaining it. ( Have a look at www.sahrc.org.za with reference to PAIA, the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000, makes for interesting reading in your case)

With regards to wash-out. Is it not possible that the sponsors send a number (lets say twenty for example) of cadets to the school, with the aim of getting a percentage (lets say 10 in number) of qualified pilots out.
They have set a target of pilots they require and an associated budget to finance those pilots. The money spent on training those pilots is an investment that they will one day hope to get a return on. They will most likely, then, only invest in the top percentage of the cadets at the school. It is business, after all. That then leaves those who fall outside of the percentage required by the sponsor. Unfortunately they are told to leave.
If there is such a business deal between your sponsor and the school, then it appears you have been caught on the unfortunate side of the percentage line.

Now, having said that, it does not mean your abilities are any less than those who were in fact advanced by the school. A flying career is, hopefully, a lengthy undertaking. There are pilots who get accepted for airlines, with thousands of hours of flying, but who fail to make the grade and are washed on line check-rides. You may have had a slow start to your career, but it is not the end of it, you need to build on what you have achieved so far. People will respect you more for that than for complaining on how unfair you feel you have been treated.

And by no means am I saying you should look the other way if you feel you have been exposed to racism at the school. Hand the matter over to people who are in a better position to deal with it, such as the public media, who are not personally involved but can give an objective insight into the matter.

Consider your career like a runway. Its more important what's available in front of you than what's left behind you.

Last edited by oerlikon; 17th May 2007 at 21:14. Reason: addition of PAIA info