PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 43 Air School for a Kenyan
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 19:40
musaQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Open debate

oerlikon,
Thank you for taking down the line. I can only hope it was an accidental oversight.

... pre-selected are those most likely to succeed, not gauranteed to succeed...
Well put.
Like I said earlier, I wont vouch for you if you cant hack it and if you can you need all the support not intimidation. In the case in point the selection criteria for the 'pre-selected' should be above board to leave no doubt in anyones mind that it is in the interest of all parties involved and all walk away happy. Dont leave trails of bias by keeping a training file as 'confidential' and singling out 'problematic students' to bash them further and not help them..... the list is long!

Like I said in an earlier post 'high standards' of an institution are judged by the quality of output not the percentage of wash out (The two may be argued to be correlated but such high percentages are seen down the chain before 'pre-selection'). Work with what you have to produce quality and wash if neccessary but dont wash to intimidate or pretend to enforce high standards.

And at what stage should one be washed? Definetely not months into the flying programme.Flying abilities cannot be unlearned along the way, or can they?. Kenyans at 43 first fight the wash out then REALLY learn to fly after that. It's a sorry state but that's how the cookie crumbles.
A simple law of averages tells you that if the wash out for a particular group is this much then another group's wash rate should match or be close (not NIL) - no pun intended. The assumption here is that all airlines would want its pilots to be of [almost] the similar 'high standards'.

What are the intentions of a school that tells you 40% would be washed. Do they intend to teach flying or first find the 40% and then take it on from there? What cuts and how are the aviator-wannabes coping during this stage?

I cannot believe they would continue in a business relationship with the school if they were unhappy.
I cant claim to speak for the company but PPRuNe is always open and future groups, if any, will be kind enough to let us know - word does get around. They wil also benefit from the discussions herein. All I can say is that the "happy relationship" has been threatened before and 'smoothed out', - or so we thought.

You describe the file in question well and are right on the score:
It would have been very unreasonable of them not give you a copy of that file.
Well... guess what? The file is NOT released. It should come in handy when you are explaining to your sponsor why you 'flanked'. It beats logic why it is claimed to be 'confidential' by the school yet you had access to it during your training and you countersigned the lessons. The reconcilliation of the file and the drafted report would make an interesting reading. A washed student simply trotters back home with a report(biased) which you have no defence against. The sponsor wouldnt want to argue with a 'professional opinion' now would he?

Maybe this forum could create a "PPRuNe test" along the way. A healthy debate would suffice.