PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 15:44
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bussing v new pier

The dabate about 'on pier' or 'bussing' - please no more 'coaching' - does not seem particulalry valid at NCL as the majoirity of pier stands do not have airbridges and you actually get wetter on a pier stand than a bussing stand if it is raining.

The current pier is a joke and needs to be replaced. It has grown from something that was never designed to handled separation never mind the volumes now being pushed through.
If this pier was replaced with a fully serviced new pier where every stand had an airbridge then the other solution could be to build a dedicated bussing facility, designed to facilitate peak flows of passengers and to ease the traffic flows around the ramp. The fact that the current bussing gates are mixed in with pier stands severely hampers thier effectiveness and is not ideal in flow terms. If you look at some of the European airports where they have accepted bussing as a solution but have planned and executed buildings and routes to make it efficient. Regrettably NCL is still in the 'I suppose it'll have to go off pier' mode.

Notwithstanding the current staffing levels on a multi discipline unit of bussing and PRM handling (and I agree that they do, and have always done a fantastic job in very difficult circumastances), the PRM scenario will only get more intense after July 01 when the new EU regiulations become law.

Lastly, thosee doors in the arrival halls. They were argued against before they were installed but GR and LH knew better, they have been a bottle neck from day one and I hope that while DL has the reins he will send them to the dump.