PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should flightdecks be kept locked?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2001, 20:34
Celtic Emerald

Unhappy

Weren't the cockpit doors locked on these flights and it doesn't seem to have made a damn bit of difference. Sadly the worst thing the pilots could have done was unlocked those doors even though the FA's were being stabbed because they lost their only protection between for themselves, the nerve centre of the aircraft and the hijackers. However sad, the loss of a few lifes to save many regardless of the fact they could never have guessed the hijackers intentions would have been a far better scenario. In my opinion in a hijack situation 'The doors should have remained locked' no matter whatever the temptation or blackmail used to open them.

As far carrying a knife on board I've done it myself for legitimate reasons no probs once I gave security a plausible explanation. Not sure if it's under 4 inches or 6 inches thats it's legal but since it can be used as a lethal weapon by wrong intentioned people I feel unless it's carried in the hold it should not be allowed on board.

As for the crap security procedures on the ground the yanks left themselves wide open. American airlines employ their own security personnel. They open it up for bidding & usually employ the lowest bidder, with low paid undermoralised staff who leave quickly as the joke goes 'for higher paid jobs in McDonalds & Burgerking. No point in having stringent policies on international airtravel when their domestic policies on airtravel were a joke, Clinton tried to change that but no, the airlines insisted it would affect mobility.

The whole scenario is sad. I enjoy cockpit visits, but it looks like for the greater good the cockpit is set to become a no-go area & some kind of shield such as a locked door policy is going to need to become mandatory to protect aircrews and aircraft.

Lets hope alot of innocent people don't suffer in Americas bid for revenge and in it's endavour to show it's might & superpower status.

Emerald

[ 12 September 2001: Message edited by: Celtic Emerald ]