PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar New Hire Pilots (AWAs)
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 04:10
UAL Furlough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a completely different take on these AWA's. I believe the company wants them because on the current T&C's, they simply cannot find the pilots to fuel the expansion and therefore they are going to offer these new hires MORE money and better working conditions to get them to sign on.
We have been talking about pilot shortages for some time and I believe that the time has finally arrived. There is certain demand for pilots and a finite supply. As the pay and conditions go up the supply goes up (demand goes down of course). At the current pay for Jetstar pilots there is simply not enough supply to meet Jetstars demand. Therefore, they have to offer more to the new guys, but they are going to try to do it by shafting the current employees and not changing their pay and conditions. In effect, the current Jetstar pilots will subsidize the operation if they allow it to happen.
But this is what we have been waiting for as a pilot group. A lack of supply of pilots at the current wage, thus wages should go up. There was no doubt that when Jetstar pilots agreed to the last EBA, the company had been willing to offer more, but we didn't have the balls to say no. Now is our chance to redeem ourselves.
The only way the JPC should agree to AWA's is if the company opens the current EBA back up for amendment and some of the stuff that has to happen:
1. Immediate 20% pay raise across the board
2. Immediate change to 12 days off in 31 day months, 11 in 30 day months.
3. 65% for F/O's
4. Eliminate junior f/o and cruise F/O salaries
5. No pay for endorsement
6. Limit on number of AVAIL days each month when rostered over 75 hours.
7. Insert your wish
8. Insert your wish
9. Insert your wish
I believe that the pilot shortage is upon us, at least at this pay and conditions level. Once Tiger and anyone else moves into the Australia market it will only get better.
Now is the time to band together and move forward. Luck is opportunity meeting preparation....I believe the opportunity has arrived, the question is is are we prepared or at least ready to prepare??