PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 43 Air School for a Kenyan
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2007, 13:07
Lex44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may be allowed to address some issues here:
An institution that claims to train world class pilots must not fall short. Measures must be taken to integrate different cultures within its confines. The school either failed its students or vice versa judging by the ex-43 comments I have come across.

The more I read this string the more am convinced something did happen at 43. Maybe this is all true - logically how do you expect someone who lived through a discriminatory regime yesterday to wake up one day when the order changes and 'embrace' the previously disadvantaged race and banish any bias he had overnight. Wounds take time to heal. The way I see it Africa is ready for 43 but 43 is not ready for Africa. Those unwilling to change surely must be repalced by those who are committed to a 'global village'.

In my curiosity I sought to ask around about state of affairs at 43 and wasnt surprised. The tales are varied but there seems to be an agreement that something is amiss. And here is the shocker - even those who 'graduate' in the end are deeply concerned about what happens behind the curtains. An official at 43 once went to Nairobi to iron out matters involving the school.

If it's true that the school feigns innocence when the 'captain' visits and only takes out the wash card when he is gone then that's a sad tale. Very sad. Very, very ..sad.

The way I see it those who defend the school have helped to expose the prejudices that may exist with one using phrases as "sitting in your mudhut, in some hole of a country". If it's true he is ex-43 and that he trained with some kenyans then he just got busted on what he thought of the kenyans.
Some have judged musaQ to be an "inferior" pilot without second thought on the strength of umh .. HEARSAY. Their 'friends' have continued the bashing on the strength of umh .... more HEARSAY. Some have been quick to defend the school and validate that by claiming to know some kenyan 'friends' who have no complaints while truth be told the rules of association at 43 are 'defined' - how can you know someone's grievances if you dont associate with them socially? Somebody must be able to trust you to tell you his fears.

I am more keen on ex-43s rather than those who claim to visist the institution often and claim not to suffer any racism. Look at the perpetrators again.

In our haste to judge the school I also think we must give credit to those at 43 who are true to their cause - give their best despite having stubborn students. I know of a chap at 43 who can take anyone and mould them to be the best pilot with patience.
His philosophy: 'only birds have flight abilities in their genes, all of us start at the same level and CAN learn'. Kudos!

Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill-will.

PS: And rumour has it that KQ will take action in future - hopefully soon. The way I see it, it either stops the program or some understanding is reached on the treatment of its cadets. If and when that happens, remember you first heard it on PPRuNe.