PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you had a bottomless pit of money?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2007, 19:51
criticalmass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The little I've learned from life suggests I had a bottomless pit of money I'd look at practical and effective ways of helping people...real help, not the role-playing we see day after day from government instrumentalities which are now so bureacratised they no longer achieve tasks, they just create employment for more bureaucrats.

Real help means lots of people at the sharp-end, with a small administrative arm in constant close contact with the people at the front line. No consultants. No career bureaucrats. A minimum of legal people, and absolutely no social engineers of any kind. Just people helping with practical ideas and measures that achieve tasks.

In many cases in the 3rd world, there are few problems in small to medium-sized communitites that can't be solved with a freshwater pipe going into the place and a sewer-pipe leading out of it. A team of task-focussed engineers could achieve that in a few weeks. A government getting international aid can't achieve the same task in anything under five years.