PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA currently recruiting Military pilots - until 31 May 2007
Old 9th May 2007, 10:47
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few personal viewpoints:

BALPA and the current pilots would scream blue murder and throw all their toys out of the cot at the idea of DEC's within BA.

Time to command is currently dropping on the SH fleets. Very large intake of FO's this year and the current recruitment of TC's on the bus suggest that is to continue.

The fluf jets at LGW come up for review soon and 'could' be replaced by the bus leading to an increase in destinations and routes (TBC)

There is rumour in the wind of an expansion, BA has squirreled away £15bn for aircraft fleet upgrades/replacements which have yet to be announced. The chance that all of the hulls will be replaced without expanding fully into T5 is a point of great speculation. Currently I believe BA are running at about 12-14 crews per LH aircraft.

The pay (currently undergoing negotiation) is far better than many loco's and, imho, a no/little loss sideways step from the top of the Lt/Ltcmdr, Flt Lt/Sqn Ldr payscales when the variable pay is included (£44k basic £12-£15K variable). One to watch for is the Basically Arse Retirement Plan (BARP) that new entrants will be given. This has been improved but it is in no way a 'real' final salary scheme. BARP is based upon the pre pay negotiation basic of £32k hence a loss of £12k pensionable off your basic!(However, certainly no worse than non pensionable but taxable flying pay). If you leave with your mil pension then you can AVC from source pay and enjoy a greatly improve pension with the tax free benefits.

Personally I find the work (on SH), the lifestyle and most of my colleagues on the flight deck excellent and have no complaints after 18 years of being dicked around under Her Majestys Service.

Currently 'rostered' for 10 days leave, 8 days 'Duty free week', 11 days flying of which I have 4 nights away and 92 credited flying hours. This month is easy but a 'normal' month would consist of approx 20-22 days flying. Weekends are a problem at the start but with the rapid pilot uptake at the moment you should progress up quite quickly. The part time at 55 is a big hook for most of the guys I have flown with and should keep the time to command reasonably level.

There are far worse places to be!

Vote with your feet!