PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia University Aviation Course
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2007, 08:20
Oh that's super!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VirginBlueDriver,

I didn't even want to go there. But now you mentioned it... yes accountants thinking they make good managers! Admittedly, some accountants do make good managers, but just some...

Kookabat

I like the sensible discussion that you've presented (too many PPRuNe threads turn into silly verbal peeing contest). In any case, it's good to see people doing aviation degree with genuine interest. I actually feel that not enough people doing university degrees (that is, any degree) have passion for the subject they are studying. I guess I'm a non-believer in 'degree for the sake of a degree'.

Speaking of loss of medical, some friends of mine lost their medical after a pretty successful flying career. Where did they go? Simulator instructing (some getting paid more than before they lost their medical - they don't know whether to be thankful or sad). Not many ex-pilot seem to end up in aviation management, although I suspect that's because they have a good loss of licence policy, enough to buy them a house in the Caribbean and retire (as long as they don't get stung in a messy divorce).

I guess the big problem comes when someone loses their medical early on in their career - can't exactly go sim instructing or become a management type. Not enough experience in the industry, leading to difficulties because they don't have enough experience in the aviation industry in any capacity - in which case an aviation degree doesn't necessarily help, whereas accountancy (god forbid!) may help them get a job in another industry (it might at least help them to pick a good loss of licence policy - once they are getting paid enough to afford it ). A bit 'safer' option to widen one's catchment area.

I'm one of those that did an aviation degree because of genuine interest and it has served me well. Not that I needed another degree though, so I always had other safety nets. Then accountants started to tell me I should do accountancy because it's good and interesting. I haven't taken that on board yet! Perhaps I shouldn't say that people should do accountancy or commerce instead of aviation management