PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia University Aviation Course
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2007, 23:29
Tempo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pros and cons of doing an aviation degree....everyone obviously has a different opinon on this one. I quite often hear the argument that someone interested in flying and also obtaining a university qualification should go and do another non-aviation degree (e.g. engineering etc) and then learn to fly. Pros: Having another qualification other than flying. Yes...that is true...but in reality...attending a 4 year university course and staying motivated enough to complete a course of study in an area which you are not interested in would be quite a challenge. So many people these days start university courses in an industry which they dont have an interest in.....and so many get 12-18 months into the course and pack it in because they are bored as bats*&t. Result: 18 months of HECCS fees (and they are expensive these days) and back to square one. I think if you WANT a university qualification and are keen to enter the aviation industry then an aviation degree is a logical and appropriate choice. At the end of the day...most degrees these days require some sort of post grad study anyway and this option is always available with an aviation degree (management, human factors etc).
How many other professions have degrees in another industry just incase their chosen career goes pear shaped???? Furthermore.....lets all get 2 trades just in case one trade goes pear shaped.

As to whether an aviation degree helps with obtaining employment...well who knows. I completed an aviation degree in 1998 and I have been in the airlines for 4 years. Did it help....I have no idea but it couldnt have worked against me.
Thats my 2 cents