PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA CARGO
Thread: SIA CARGO
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2007, 21:47
torallin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thruth! A WARNING!

This is directed to the people thinking about joining SIA Cargo. As a general warning.

Do not believe everything you hear on the interview. SQ CARGO will lie straight to your face to get your signature on the contract. As soon as they have it, they know you are stuck for 5 and a half year.

This will be a whole book if I were to mention everything, but let me put down a few points that I KNOW is important for your wellbeeing and life quality.

1: Roster - As previously mentioned in the thread, the roster is to say the least, unstable. You could find yourself being changed on to a flight on short notice, and your vacation could be revoked. Example. I got 2 days flying in the middle of my 2 week vacation!

2: Away time, you are an average of at least 17 days away from SIN a month. You need to report if you are leaving the island. And you rarely have more than 4 days off consecutive. (Remember that if you DO go to Phuket for a 4 day, they could call you after 2 and tell you they need you on a flight to AKL tomorrow......

3: Upgrades if you are a FO. I was told in the interview that with my experience (At time of employment in SQ cargo I had more than the requirements for direct entry. However when I applied they did not take non widebody Capt. as direct entry. When I JOINED they did) I was then told that with my experience I was looking at VERY short time to command. In a later meeting with the Dept. Chief he told me NOONE got upgraded on Expat Terms and I would have to go MINIMUM 5 years on LOCAL terms (I.E. no housing allowance etc.) to be ELIGABLE for upgrade!!! So an obvious LIE when I signed the contract.

4: SQ Cargo do whatever they like with pay and roster because they KNOW you are stuck. Example: We were sent to KL for sim training for 16 days. According to information letter sent to us when going to KL they would pay out of base allowance according to RANK and STATUS. When we returned to SIN we got 1/4 of the allowance in our contracts. They then argued that the amount in our contract was when on a COP (Crew Operating Pattern, eg. flying) The amount we were paid was a OFFICE STAFF out of base allowance.... So I guess in SQ eyes the RANK AND STATUS when we were in the SIM in KL was Office staff!!!!!!!! Well shows you how they are..... When they in addition argued over a BOOKING FEE of 1 SGD on my taxi receipt. I kind of had enough!

5: For anyone joining as FO's. Ask in the thred how many sectors a month they do as PILOT FLYING. I know for a fact that some FO's have been VERY close to running out of currency (E.g. THREE MONTHS withouth being pilot flying)!!!!!!!!

6: Ask yourself how much fun it is to sit in Economy class to AMS, then 3 days STBY in AMS, then fly as PM to NYC, sit there 3 days on STBY, fly as PM back to AMS, sit there 3 days STBY, then fly Economy class BACK to SIN.......... 777 to europe, business is full most times, you are stuck in MIDDLE seat because they dont even CARE to reserve a Emergency Exit for you.

In addition to this, having to deal with the trainers that are so full of themselves (Exept for a few nice expats), rudeness, and lies!!!!

There are better jobs out there. And the only reason that HALF the SQ Cargo pilots have not already left is:

a) They are waiting for the bonus in June/July.
b) The monster bond.

It is quite sad that this is the reason people stay in a job... It should be happiness and proudness of their job and employer....